One of St. Augustine’s vagabond teams finally was getting a home.
A 330-yard track and field oval would provide the Saints a facility for dual-meet, track-and-field competition beginning in 1960.
Football and baseball would still have to travel to games. Basketball teams had a home since a gymnasium/auditorium was constructed in time for the 1952 school year.
That the running surface of the track was short of the standard, 440-yard oval was result of property lines and geography. The expanse surrounded by Palm Street on the North, Nutmeg on the South, 32nd Street on the West and 33rd on the East was not large enough for a regulation track.
The football team, which was about to enjoy the first undefeated season in the school’s 37-year history, was forced to moved practice to the intramural, lower field.
The track’s circumference created some oddities and posed a challenge to those responsible for staggering lanes and chalking for various events.
The most obvious adjustment was required for hurdlers. They would start the 120-yard high barriers on a curve and would be required to cover more than half the oval in the 180-yard lows.
Years later the Saints were able to close Bancroft Avenue from Nutmeg to Palm and widen the field into a soccer venue.
The Saints hit the road again for their track meets.